Roger Mello has illustrated over 100 titles – 22 of which he also wrote – and his unique style and adroit sense of color continues to push the boundaries of children’s book illustration. Rather than relying on written narrative to tell the story, Mello invites his young readers to fill the gaps with imagination. Mello has won numerous awards for writing and illustrating, including three of IBBY’s Luis Jardim Awards, the Best Children’s Book 2002 International Award, and the 2014 Hans Christian Andersen Award.
- Visit Roger Mello’s webpage at Companhia Das Letras.
- Read about the exhibition of Mello’s artwork at the Internationale Jugendbibliothek in Munich.
- Listen to Mello talk about children’s literature and his own work.
- In this interview, Mello speaks about his own writing process, the best way to teach children how to read, and the role of children’s literature in society.
- Learn more about Mello and his work at Literary Vittles, Project MUSE, and IBBY.